Friday, June 18, 2010

Happy Hollow May 2010

The last week in May I took the kids to the new, improved, remodeled Happy Hollow Park and Zoo. There were a lot of changes, but I don't know that I liked all of them. Anyway, we had a great time and they all cooperated with me while we were there. Here are the (many) pictures:

The kids wanted to ride the rides first. This was an oldie that we loved. I have a picture if Jessi with Tanner on this ride back in my archives somewhere. I was impressed that neither Jessi or Tanner complained that they didn't get a car with a bell. They were just content to be on the ride. The lines were pretty long in their minds.


Here is another one that was an here before. Tanner didn't used to like this one because it went to fast. I think they both liked it this time.


Hunter was content to wait in the stroller most of the time. I didn't think he was quite big enough this time to ride the above ride. Maybe next time.


Here is a new ride that they both loved. Jessi is almost too big for it I think. I think I'll keep trying though until her feet drag:)



We had to wait a long time for the Danny the Dragon ride (probably 20-30 minutes). I couldn't bring the stroller in the line so I let Hunter sit down on the ground propped up with my legs while Jessi and Tanner shared a snack. The kids ate to fast though. They did pretty good until the time before it was our turn. Then Tanner wanted to be help and I was already holding Hunter so my arms were sore the next day from holding the combined 40 pounds of weight. I need to strengthen my left arm! The picture of Hunter is while I am holding him and he is reaching for the camera.


When it was finally our turn, I asked Tanner where he wanted to sit and he proceeded to walk around to the drivers place. It made me smile. The picture is of Tanner and Jessi holding Hunter on Danny. I didn't trust them to hold him so the shot isn't that great. Then I tried to get all of us, but Tanner wasn't having it and I didn't get myself. Oh, well, you get the idea.


After waiting so long for the Danny ride, we decided to try our luck at this huge play structure. It is big enough for adults to play too. Unfortunately I was by myself and it was hard to keep track of the kids. I told them to stay together and for the most part they did.


Can you find Tanner? He is in an orange shirt and turquoise hat. Good luck.


I thought this was pretty funny.
Top left: Tanner starts to climb a minute or two after Jessi. She was just to the top of the picture.
Top right: Tanner catches up to Jessi. She is in the light purple shirt at the back of the netting.
Middle left: Tanner passes Jessi
Middle right: Leaving her in the dust, but calling encouragement back to her.
Bottom left: Almost at the end. Jessi hasn't moved.
Bottom right: Tanner gets to the top and waits for Jessi, the whole time saying things like, "Come on Jessi, you can do it"


After playing for a while and me getting tired of "finding" the kids. We went to the zoo. This was the first animal we saw. Usually it is asleep at the back of the pen, so it was nice to see it. I can't remember what it is called.


The Jaguar. Jessi's favorite. It was asleep but at least somewhere were we could see it this time.


Here were the first monkeys that we saw. They were right up at the window. We must have times the zoo right.


Here is another monkey that we saw. He was so tiny. If I remember right there were about 6 in this cage.


Next we saw some birds. They were really loud. We think they were hungry or hot because when the zoo keeper came they sprayed them with water.


We also were able to see the turtle. He is usually in his house and hard to see. He is so big!


Then we saw the meerkats! They were digging for bugs, just being fed. So we were able to see all of them.


After that we saw the lemurs. My camera wasn't cooperating. It kept focusing on the fence.


Another one that we usually don't see because it is really shy is this little deer. He was sitting right next to the fence.


We skipped the Merry-go-round at the beginning because the wait was too long. Luckily the kid maning the ride let us all on. Hunter was too small and Tanner needed someone to ride with him. So the man said that if I rode sitting right in front of Tanner it would be okay.


We went to another part of the zoo that had been moved. The feeding area is a little different. I like the improvements here. Jessi enjoyed feeding the goats, horses and other animals. Tanner only would pet the goats and fed a little baby goat one pellet.


We found the kangaroo had been moved too.


And last but not least. (I was ready to be done) Were these funny monkeys. They were pretty entertaining and we will have to watch them at the beginning next time.

It was a great day and the kids loved it and are asking to go back again already. Maybe when MJ can come too.

3 comments:

dots said...

I like how you did the collages with the animal's photo inserted...I will have to remember that!

Looks like you had fun!!

Anonymous said...

I love that place. I really miss it. The animal at the beginning is the Capybara.

Adam and Jessica said...

That looks like they had so much fun! I love the picture of the four of you and your head is MIA and Tanner is making a crazy face. Oh how I love that little man! Well all of them really. You are such a great Mom!